Whittier City School District will provide a challenging, quality education for all students.
Whittier is a diverse community with approximately 80,000 people of various economic and ethnic backgrounds. The city is located on the slopes of the Puente Hills in the Los Angeles Basin where the climate encourages people to live an active outdoor life year round.
• 13 miles east of Los Angeles
• 19 miles from nearby beaches
• 100 miles from Palm Springs
• Disneyland; Knotts Berry Farm are within a 30-minute drive
• Eight universities are within a 45 minute drive
• Whittier College and Rio Hondo College are located within the District boundaries
• Churches, libraries, theaters, art galleries, parks and hospitals abound
• Major department stores are nearby
Whittier is a nice place to call home!
Whittier City School District is a K-8 District with nine elementary and two middle (6-8) schools, with approximately 6,600 students. Class Size Reduction has been completed in all Kindergarten, first, and second classrooms. The district is on the cutting edge of technology with all the classrooms wired for the Internet. The District is also the recipient of numerous grants. The community supported the passage of bond elections in November 1996 and March 2000.
The number one priority in the District is the improvement of student achievement. Resources have been allocated in the areas of professional development, interventions for underachieving students, and other site improvements. English Language Learners participate in one of two District programs: the mainstream or the structured English immersion program. Our District is one of seven local districts that join together in a Special Education Cooperative (SELPA) serving Whittier area special needs students. Nine of the District’s schools have Wonder of Reading Libraries, funded by a private grant, school site funding, and District financial support.
The Board, as well as the community, supports the arts. Each middle school has a band room designed and purchased by the District.
In Whittier City School District, we believe:
1) All students have the right to reach their full achievement potential.
2) Education is the shared responsibility of the individual, family, school, and community.
3) All individuals bring a wealth of personal and cultural experiences which deserve to be respected and possess inherent talent and abilities which merit recognition.
4) All individuals are entitled to feel safe and secure.
5) Decisions and practices should be based on honesty, fairness, and integrity.
6) A spirit of teamwork enhances the educational process.
7) Learning is an essential life-long process which enriches the quality of life.
8) Education should be an enjoyable journey.
Whittier City School District will provide a safe, caring, and nurturing environment that ensures high student achievement in all subject areas, with special focus on literacy, mathematics, and the use of technology, by a quality, supportive staff.
Whittier City School District students are literate, responsible, caring citizens, who are academically and technologically prepared for the rigors of continued education and a changing world. Parents and community members are active partners in the learning process. District staff provides the tools, choices, skills, and structures to empower students in creating their personal visions for the future.